78-year-old grandfather starts an internship

Grandfather Ken Holmes believes he could be one of the oldest interns in the world. At 78-years-old, the granddad-of-two decided he’d embark on a new career. He started where many entry-level staff do, an internship. Holmes, from Australia, has been helping out at the Mercy Place Aged Care facility in Victoria, where he assists in making life comfortable for the elderly residents. He spent 30 years of his career working as a surgical and scientific toolmaker at Melbourne University. He later switched to personal care for a decade before giving up employment to look after his wife Beatrice. Holmes told Mashable: ‘I haven’t told my kids what I’m doing because I know what they would say… that I should be at home. ‘But my advice to anyone else my age that is still fit and healthy is to go back to work.’ He added: ‘I’m doing this course for myself. I’m tired of talking to my dogs and cats who don’t talk back.’ He says his favorite part of the internship is working with older people. And he if he keeps up his very best behavior he’s hoping to get a bed there himself in the future. Source- metro.co.uk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PursueAsia Now in India

Should I Take an Unpaid Internship Abroad? What's the Value?

Getting the Most From Your Interns -- and Giving Back in Return